Hood River County

Sheriff's Office

Snowmobile Safety Program

The Sheriff’s Office Reserve program works in conjunction with the Oregon State Snowmobile Association Co-Op Law Enforcement program to provide snow patrol coverage in the Mt Hood area.

They patrol U.S. Forest Service Road # 44 from Little John snow park to Camp Baldwin, Lost Lake area and White River East area. As well as the, westside of the county from Post Canyon to Black Lake. 

About the Snowmobile Safety Program

The Oregon State Snowmobile Association contributes to a co-op law enforcement program with eight county sheriff departments. The Hood River County Sheriff Department has been participating in the co-op law enforcement for 18 years. Over the years, the Sheriff Department has purchased four snowmobiles, an enclosed snowmobile trailer and equipment to perform winter patrol from money provided by the co-op enforcement program.  During the winter season, the Sheriff Reserves patrol all snowmobile riding areas ensuring citizens are safe and in compliance with current registrations and licenses. The Sheriff Reserves also assist in Search and Rescue during winter months when snowmobiles are needed. 

Things to know:

  • In order to drive a snowmobile, state law requires you have a valid driver’s license or a snowmobile operator permit issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.  Your snowmobile must also be registered with the state.
  • “Zero Tolerance”, No alcohol while riding.
  • Use Common Sense and Good Judgment! Ride Safely!!!

If you have any questions, please contact Reserve Sgt. John Vogel at the Hood River Sheriff’s Office 541-387-7033.


Is Insurance required in Oregon?
Is a driver’s license required?
Is there a speed limit for snowmobiles?
Do I need a snow park permit for Oregon?
information & resources